Top Menu

Saabism logo
HOME  |  RIDES   |   PRACTICAL   |   SAABS   |   DRAMA   |   MUSIC   |   APPS   |   OTHER   |   WORLD MAP

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Dame Edna on bio steroids: how is she ?



After several small stones attacks on my bonnet I've decided to let my convertible in the service to repaint it. It's not easy to find a skilled service for this, but I've found one. And I had the luck to get a 2007 9-5 SportCombi 2.0t BioPower for the time. The Dame Edna wasn't for free but not expensive. This was my first BioPower car and I could do about 500 km on it (will do another 220).

So how is she ?

I'm not a fan of this 9-5 exterior look, mainly of the front part. But I love the dashboard. It's robust, the relaxing saabish green lights on the dashboard indicators are there. Used from my 9-3 I knew where most of the things are from the first moment. It looks clean and untouched, you would never say, this 9-5 has 236.000 km driven. I love the "3D" look of the rpm, kmh and fuel indicators, this is something I'd like to have in the 9-3. It's hard to photograph, at least for my skills, so at least an overall view :



After getting the car, I was driving behind someone, leading me to the nearest E85 fuel station, about 50 km away. The driver wasn't lazy at all and was pretty dynamic, so I had to catch up quickly - fast overtakes and fast drives in curves with a car I didn't knew at all. And I was very positively surprised. Not a single "edge situation", it was fast and stable. At country roads between towns, at speeds 80-120kmh. Nice !



Some things I was missing. Firstly, as I am 191 cm tall, the seats could be a bit lower. This is something which the taller driver have to use to. And secondly, on the cruise controll I was missing "cruise minus". You can increase the speed, but not decrease. On the highway this is useful. Was that it ? Yes. Nothing else.



The Saab has 150 bhp and 240 Nm on petrol and 180 bhp and 280 Nm on the biofuel / E85. The 20% performance increasy is to feel. It follows the gas pedal very prompt and cheerful. That was a nice surprise for a pretty heavy looking combi. But not a surprise for Saab in general. Official numbers are saying 8.5 seconds for 0-120kmh and it easily could be.

It has an automatic transmission, the short delays against manual transmission are there, but no drama. I am a fan of manual transmission, so in case of choice, the decision would be clear. But after this I understood everybody who tunes this car, because to have this chassis on 250+ hp should be really fun.



The fuel consumption on the highway was 10.4 l/100 km on the highway (23.3 mpg) of E85, which would indicate about 8 litres on normal petrol (29.4 mpg), which is ok. After coming to the city and driving it around in a normal traffic another 200 km, the fuel meter shows 12.2 l/100 km (19.3 mpg), which indicates about 9.4 l/100 km (25 mpg) on petrol. For a year 2007 and 230.000 km two-liter an absolutely acceptable number. I could live with that.

The price difference between E85 and a say 96 Natural petrol is of course a critical factor here. This Saab won a couple of prices for eco-development, driving on ethanol, which is important for the eco minded drivers.

In general a very good feeling. It drives well, it is not too thirsty. I forgot to mention the boot, which is huge, for a family absolutely ok and also a good sound. I will give it back on Friday with a bit sadness in the heart. I used to it and like it. There were several of  positive "Saab kicks" through these couple of days.

Also the sad thing is : we don't have E85 in Slovakia. Fuel lobby has lobbed. This car is borrowed from the Czech Republic, where they're used to it. So no use of the BioPower feature here.


No comments:

Post a Comment